This is a bit time consuming, but it's so worth it!
You will need:
one 3 inch Styrofoam ball
heavy cardstock or chipboard (I used cereal boxes)
12x12 paper
foam dots
binder clip
wooden bead
paper flowers
grosgrain ribbon
brad (to cover hole in bead)
red glitter
serrated knife, hot glue, paint brush, scissors
First, cut a 6 inch circle from the chipboard. Find the center and measure a two inch circle (this is the bottom of the cup). Make even cuts around the circle (stopping at the 2 inch circle) and fold the sides, overlapping, to form your "cup". Hot glue the flaps, and secure with a rubber band until set. I used matching paper in the bottom of the cup, so if someone looks at the bottom, it won't be ugly chipboard.
Cut two 2x12 inch strips from your paper. Score (if you want to) every 1/4 inch and accordion fold. Glue one end to the other, wrap around chipboard cup and glue together (do not over stretch it). Hot glue the bottom edge of paper to cup, then the top edge.
Using the serrated knife, cut the ball in half. Place gift card on one half and place your foam dots on either side of the gift card so it slides freely. Stick both halves together and hot glue into the cup.
Now the creativity begins. Run a stitch through the grosgrain ribbon and gather it to a ruffle (measure enough ribbon to go around 4 times). Secure the ruffled ribbon around to hid the edge of the cup, using hot glue. Cut you paper flowers in half and glue on two rows.
You can do the whole top in flowers, add more ruffled ribbon, decorate it however you'd like. Just be sure at the top, you leave the space for the gift card to slid in and out.
Paint the wooden bead red and sprinkle with glitter (if you want to). Glue the bead to a small binder clip (the top part) and then glue a brad to cover the top hole. Using white grosgrain, make another "ruffle". This will be the whipped cream and will cover the binder clip so it's not visible. You can now decorate your cupcake with smaller brads, more glitter, add any touches you'd like.
Slide the gift card into the binder clip, insert it ino the cupcake and you're done! Easy, huh?
Noe, if you've followed this directions, you HAVE to post the final product on your blog so we can all see it!!
I really wish I could remember where I saw this, but for the life of me I just can't. I just know that I can't take credit for this idea. I also hope that I didn't leave out a step! LOL! Have fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks Denise. I plan on making a few for mothers day for my mom and girlfriends.
ReplyDeleteHave fun! Can't wait to see yours!
ReplyDeleteDenise, loved your cupcake and thanks so much adding these directions. I'll have to give it a try.
ReplyDelete